This year's topic:
Digital Transformation in Steelmaking
Digital Transformation, Smart Factory, Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) and the Industry 4.0 are currently part of every discussion related to quality, productivity and cost. But what does it really mean? How can you actually benefit from the new possibilities?
This year's Online Metal Conference addresses the latest solutions and applied technologies of digital transformation and listen to speakers who have approached these new tracks.
Get some impressions of our first conference to get an idea what you can expect at OMC.
Introduction of our speakers and there topics of
OMC - Digital Transformation #1+2:
Jelena is a Lecturer in Industrial Design at Liverpool University, UK. Her research focuses on integrating design thinking, strategy and innovation management in the realization of cyber-physical systems adaptable to dynamic market changes as a support further digitalization.
Designing Digitized Production Engineering Processes in Industry 4.0
Jelena will introduce a new design for digitized production engineering that embodies Design for Dynamic Management (DFDM). The DFDM framework is a service-oriented system development computational framework that facilitates harmonization of conflicting needs associated with the design and manufacturing of engineered systems. She will discuss the latest trends in manufacturing, bridging physical and cyber worlds, I4.0 benefits, architecture for realization of I4.0 as a digital thread and a digital twin, addressing real industrial problem via the DFDM, and ways forward the digital transition of industry. Her speech will be about:
• Latest trends in manufacturing, bridging physical and cyber worlds
• The benefits of Industry 4.0
• An architecture for the realization of I4.0 as a digital thread and a digital twin
• Addressing the real industrial problem via the DFDM Framework
• Ways forward and plans for the digital transition of industry
Juan Bermúdez Sirvent
Digitalization Product Manager
Juan works as Digitalization Product Manager in Russula Engineering Corporation. He has a wide experience in development, configuration and implementation of MES and SCADA systems in the Steel and Nuclear industries. As MOM/MES functional & technical Project Manager, Juan led specialized and intercultural teams with professionals from other countries towards achieving successful projects such as Latin America, EMEA, Asia and North America.
Digital Transformation - How to move from plan to execution
In this speech, Juan won’t describe digitalization benefits, instead he will summarize about two ideas, “data is the new oil” and “connecting business goals with digitalization objectives”. Focusing on helping industry to achieve business goals empowerment through digitalized data to make the proper decisions. Instead describing benefits and disruptions, he will emphasize on the idea of converting plan into reality when there is a digital ambition in industry to turn into effective execution. His speech will be about:
• How to convert plan into reality when there is a digital ambition in industry to turn into effective execution.
• Presenting the principles of “data is the new oil” and “connecting business goals with digitalization objectives”.
• Focusing on helping industry to achieve business goals empowerment through digitalized data.
L.A. Comp Chair and Professor Univ. of Oklahoma
Prof. Farrokh holds the L. A. Comp Chair in the School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering and co-directs the Systems Realization Laboratory at Oklahoma University, USA. His research focuses on defining the emerging frontier for the intelligent decision-based realization of complex (cyber-physical-social) systems when the computational models are incomplete and inaccurate.
A Set Based Approach for the Integrated Exploration of Solution Space of Ladle, Tundish, Caster
In this speech, he will present a computational method to facilitate input controlling to ladle and caster desired output (and vice versa). The decisions associated with ladle, tundish and slab continuous casting are modeled using the multi-objective decision construct of compromise Decision Support Problem. The behavior is modeled using physics-based reduced order models.
A set-based approach is adopted for exploring the solution spaces of the three unit operations. Within the proposed inductive approach, the properties and defect level requirement flows backward from continuous caster to tundish to ladle. His speech will be about:
• Presenting a computational method to facilitate controlling the input to the ladle and the desired output from the caster.
• Modelling the decisions associated with ladle, tundish and slab continuous casting operations using multi-objective decision construct.
• A set-based approach is adopted for exploring the solution spaces of the three unit operations.
• Demonstrating the proposed inductive approach and its impact on the properties and defects.
Franck Komi Adjogble
General Manager - SMS digital at SMS USA office in Pittsburgh
Franck holds a Master Degree in Computer Science, worked in the Department of Applied Informatics as Assistant to the research director, earned a Certificate of Technology Management at Fraunhofer Institute in cooperation with the University of Hagen and has completed a doctorate research in Technology and Innovation Management from Fraunhofer Institute in Germany. He joined sms group in 2001 and was appointed as General Manager for SMS digital at SMS USA office in Pittsburgh for developing a digitalization unit within the US office, where he is leading a group of Data Scientists.
Data Engineering: The Battlefield of the Digitalization in the Steel industry
In this speech, he will be sharing his experience how the data itself can be a sparring partner as well as a challenger for data scientists. His talk addresses the difficulties integrating inhomogeneous data sources and presents a powerful and easy-to-use platform as possible solution. It offers state of the art approaches with regard to in-memory solutions that enables the users to maximise the value captured from complex data. His speech will be about:
• Raw data - A significant sparring partner & challenger of Data Scientists.
• Challenges of handling complex data from multiple sources of an inhomogeneous automation system.
• Powerful and easy-to-use platform as possible solution, offering state of the art approaches with regard to in-memory solutions that enables the users to maximise the value captured from complex data.
Anand Balu Nellippallil
Research Engineer II Mississippi State University
Anand is a Research Engineer II at the Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems, Mississippi State University. He has received several academic awards such as the 2018 Provost's Dissertation Prize for Outstanding Dissertation in Science and Engineering from the University of Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma – Gallogly College of Engineering Dissertation Excellence Award.
Integrated Design of Materials, Products, and Manufacturing Processes – Context of Hot Rolling Process Chain Problem
In this speech, Anand will present an extension of his talk from the first Hashtag#OMC round on “Goal-oriented Inverse Design (GoID) method” by demonstrating the efficacy of the method using an industry-inspired hot rolling example problem that follows the ladle, tundish and caster example presented by ProfessoFarrokh Mistree in the preceding Hashtag#OMC talk. The generic method presented is used to carry out inverse robust design of process chains by managing the uncertainty involved. His speech will be about:
• Illustrating the Goal-oriented Inverse Design Method for systems-based robust design using an industry-inspired problem.
• Demonstrating the integrated design of steel, rod and associated manufacturing processes, namely, rolling and cooling.
• Case Study: hot rolling that follows the ladle, tundish and caster.
Researcher at CERN
Matthias works as a researcher in the European Organization for Nuclear Research. He is also an honory fellow in the university of Glasgow. He holds a PhD of Sciences and a master's degree in Physics from ETH Zürich. He also taught multiple general physics courses for different audiences, from engineers, to mathematicians, pharmacists, and physics students.
Data Analysis in a Scientific Setting
In this speech, Mathias will explain how to transfer measurement into useful data and which tools can be used for transferring data into actual analysis. In addition to demonstrating the use of simulation, based on decade long experience and measurements.
He will also visit the today's data analysis approaches: Distributed computing & machine learning presenting a case study of Fundamental particle physics research. His speech will be about:
• How to transfer measurement into useful data.
• Which tools can be used for transferring data into actual analysis.
• Demonstrating the use of simulation, based on decade long experience and measurements.
• Data Analysis of today: Distributed computing & machine learning approaches.
• Case study: fundamental particle physics research.
Senior Sales Engineer iba America, LLC
David works as a senior sales engineer for iba America, LLC with a demonstrated history of providing industrial data acquisition and analytics solutions to manufacturing facilities across various industry sectors. As a graduate of Auburn University, David’s educational background in Mechanical Engineering is accompanied by his experience in industrial control systems and robotics programming. David currently serves as the Young Professionals Chair on the Computer Applications Technology Committee of the AIST - Association for Iron & Steel Technology.
Auto Adaptive Condition Monitoring Utilizing Edge Computing in Rolling Mill Applications
In this talk, David will demonstrate how to use successful DataAnalytics strategy in regards to VibrationMonitoring, maintenance and repair related information to automatically adapt the changing process conditions. His speech focus aims to characterize a common-sense approach using modern data analytics practices to leverage auto adapting conditionMonitoring by classifying the different process conditions that exist in rolling mill applications. His speech will be about:
• Using successful data analytics strategy in vibration monitoring, maintenance and repair related information to automatically adapt the changing process conditions.
• Characterizing a common-sense approach using modern data analytics practices to leverage auto adapting condition monitoring by classifying the different process conditions that exist in rolling mill applications.
• Success Stories: Practical rolling mill applications.
Head of Digitalization E&A Downstream at Primetals Technologies
Dr. Alexander holds a Doctorate in Mathematics (Optimization) and a Diploma in Applied mathematics. He works at Siemens Metals Technologies (now Primetals) since 2011. Now he leads the Digitalization team of Electrics & Automation Downstream.
A digital twin – what is it?
The availability of digital twins is said to be a key component for a successful digital transformation of the steel industry. But when coming to the development of a digital twin for a certain plant, different questions arise. In this talk, Dr. Alexander will demonstrate what shall be the goal of the digital twin and which parts and aspects of the plant shall be incorporated. Is the holistic approach of incorporating all details and aspects of a plant into one single digital twin a reasonable approach?
He will provide some practical examples of already existing digital twins, for example for an Arvedi ESP plant. His speech will be about:
• What should be the goal of the digital twin?
• Which parts and aspects of the plant shall be incorporated?
• Is the holistic approach of incorporating all details and aspects of a plant into one single digital twin a reasonable approach?
• Practical success story: digital twins of an Arvedi ESP plant.
Founder & CPO
Elena is a co-founder of Mechanica AI, a provider of AI-based solutions for the industrial sector.
Five Steps to Choose Your First AI Project in Steelmaking
Metal companies are constantly looking for innovative solutions to increase their operational efficiency and yield. Machine learning and artificial intelligence make the promise of bringing much-needed improvements. However, since best practices are yet to establish, many enterprise struggle to identify where to start their AI journey. In her talk, Elena Samuylova will discuss how to approach this puzzling task and not to be stuck in the “pilot purgatory”:
• How AI brings tangible value, and differs rom existing modelling techniques
• Which factors to consider when choosing your first project to get quick ROI
• Which industry examples one can take inspiration from
Eduardo Magalhaes Oliveira
Head of Data Science & AI
Eduardo is working for IHM Stefanini, one of the largest multinational technology company in Brazil.
Soft Sensor: A data driven approach for lab analysis
Most industrial plants have human operators taking decisions in the process in order to achieve some product quality. The problem is that most of these decisions are based on the result of a laboratory analysis that took at least 2 hours to be available. Such a long dead time make it difficult to put the plant in steady state. His speach will be about:
• What is a "Soft Sensor" and how is he made?
• Use of deep learning techniques to develop "Soft Sensors".
• Example: How to reduce the lab analysis duration from about 2 houres down to 15min.
Dr. Anand Balu Nellippallil
Research Engineer II
Anand is working for the Mississippi State University.
Cloud-Based Computational Platform for Decision Support in the Design of Materials and Products
Goal-oriented Inverse Design (GoID) method based on requirements driven, “top-down” design of a system and associated subsystems by taking a goal-oriented, inverse approach. In the context of this method, he will present the architecture and functionalities of a cloud-based computational platform to facilitate mass collaboration and open innovation thereby supporting integrated materials and product design as required by the Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME) paradigm. He will address how Industry 4.0 can support ICME in facilitating computational materials and products design.
• How Industry 4.0 can support ICME in facilitating computational materials and product design
• Goal-oriented Inverse Design Method for systems-based robust design
• Success story: Platform demonstration for an industry inspired hot rod rolling problem
Managing Director Technology
Matteo founded the AWARE7 GmbH to help other companies in finding and showing human and technical vulnerabilities, assess and mitigate cyber risks at various levels.
Awareness or Technical Solutions - what does really help?
Matteo is currently pursuing his Ph.D. in the working group System Security at the Ruhr-University Bochum. His research interest includes the areas of cybersecurity, artificial intelligence and offensive security.
In his talk he will address different approaches to IoT security. Firstly, he gives an overview of the current risks during the digitalisation process. As solution, he presents the awareness approach, focusing on the human vulnerabilities. In addition, he explains how technical solutions can help and summarises giving you an idea how to combine both ways to optimize your own digital IoT security.
• Introduction to the current Challenges of IoT Security
• The Importance of Awareness in the Company
• Technical Solutions for a secure Digitalization Process
• Your Way: The Best from both Approaches
Professor Samir El-Masri
Founder, CEO of Digitalization Company
Professor Samir is an Expert for Blockchain and Digital Transformation and holds a professorship of Digital Technologies
Digital Transformation, IIOT, AI and Blockchain Transform Industrial Business
Believing in sharing knowledge, he has published more than 100 research papers on advanced digital technologies in addition to authoring the “Certified Digital Leader” course. In the context of digitalization, he worked for General Electric as a senior regional director leading digital projects in MENA. Now, he is a public speaker, founder and CEO of Digitalization.
Professor El-Masri will explain what Industrial companies need to do to take successful initiatives in Digital Transformation and how IIOT adds value in industrial business with APM. He will also explain the values added by Blockchain to industry and how it can work with IIOT and AI.
• Introduction to the continuous Digital Transformation journey
• What Industrial companies need to do to take successful initiatives in Digital Transformation
• How IIOT adds value in industrial business with APM
• What are the values added by Block- chain to industry and how it can work with IIOT and AI
How does this work?
Video calls have been increasing drastically in the last years. More Whatsapps are written than telephone calls are made. Why not having a virtual conference, where you log-in from wherever you are and follow presentations in a video stream? You can ask questions and discuss with other participants via chat.
Access and share high quality knowledge easily
OMC provides technical information about latest developments in the metal industries and allows reaching a large community of manufactures, suppliers and institutions.
Reduce costs and go green!
OMC not only helps you to avoid high traveling costs but also to save valuable time. Moreover, you contribute to a sustainable economy by saving tons of CO2.
Interact and network
Don't be afraid to miss any interaction or networking. OMC gives the possibility to interact with the lecturer in the Q&A session via chat and to communicate with other participants in designated networking lounges.
Individualize your schedule
OMC gives you the possibility to attend all sessions you are interested in. Even if you can’t participate at the scheduled time or if you suffer from overlapping sessions, you can easily access the records afterwards on the platform anytime, anywhere.
Be productive. Be smart.
Get serious about focusing your time. Choose the perfect plan to fit your needs.
Special Offer (OMC #1+2)
- - 13 high quality recorded speeches (10-30 min. each) of two conferences hold in 2019.
- - About 5 hours high quality content about the latest solutions and applied technologies of digital transformation.
- - Speakers who have approached these new tracks.
- - Presentation of each speech available for download.
- - Lifetime access.
Flexible PassOMC #2
- Unlimited lifetime access to the online conference
- - live stream to key notes
- - live stream to speaker sessions
- Additional material
- - presentations
- - papers
per user - per month - for 12 month
- Unlimited access to present sessions
- Unlimited access to past sessions
- - live stream to key notes
- - live stream to speaker sessions
- Additional material
- - presentations
- - papers
The date for the next Online Metal Conference in 2020 will be announced soon!
Subscribe to the OMC Newsletter and get access to a FREE video "Five Steps to Choose Your First AI Project in Steelmaking" by Elena Samuylova and save 25%!
Yes, I want to receive access to the free video and the 25% voucher* and subscribe to the OMC Newsletter with information about us, our services and products, upcoming events, promotions and offers.
*The voucher is valid for the basic or the flexible pass for OMC at 2019-11-21.
OMC - Digital Transformation #2 (2019-11-21)
|UTC + 1(German Time)
||Topic & Speaker|
|16:00 - 16:15
|16:15 - 16:50
"Data Engineering: The Battlefield of the Digitalization in the Steel industry"
Franck Komi Adjogble, General Manager - SMS digital at SMS USA office in Pittsburgh|
|16:50 - 17:05
||"Digital Transformation - How to move from plan to execution"
Juan Bermúdez Sirvent, Digitalization Product Manager at Russula Engineering Corporation
|17:05 - 17:30
||"Data Analysis in a Scientific Setting"
Matthias Weber, Researcher at European Organization for Nuclear Research|
|17:30 - 17:50
||"Designing Digitized Production Engineering Processes in Industry 4.0"
Jelena Milisavljevic Syed, Assistant Professor at University of Liverpool|
|17:50 - 18:10
||"Auto Adaptive Condition Monitoring Utilizing Edge Computing in Rolling Mill Applications"
David Kober, Senior Sales Engineer at iba America, LLC|
|18:10 - 18:30
||"A digital twin – what is it?"
Alexander Thekale, Head of Digitalization E&A at Primetals Technologies|
|18:30 - 19:05
||"A Set Based Approach for the Integrated Exploration of Solution Space of Ladle, Tundish, Caster"
Farrokh Mistree, L.A. Comp Chair and Professor at University of Oklahoma
|19:05 - 19:30
||"Integrated Design of Materials, Products, and Manufacturing Processes – Context of Hot Rolling Process Chain Problem"
Dr. Anand Balu Nellippallil, Research Engineer II at Mississippi State University
|"Closing, Remarks and Final Discussion"